Regular visitors will have noticed ever increasing amounts of spam on the Trading Gurus Community Forum. On November 24th 2012 we implemented some changes:

1. New users will be moderated 2. Registered users who have a post count of zero will not be able to view attachments or download code. 3. Registered users who have a post count of zero will not be able to create a new thread

As an additional countermeasure we anticipate introducing a modest paywall in the near future.

If this is your first visit here our apologies for the inconvenience.

Existing users may wish to contribute their ideas to this thread.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Anti spam measures. Is a paywall a good idea. What else might work?

Anti spam measures. Is a paywall a good idea. What else might work?

It's taking up more and more of my time getting rid of spam. Something must be done!

Currently (if the technology works as advertised) you won't be able to do much on the forum unless you've already contributed by making at least one post. I'm thinking of adding the requirement to have parted with some money before new users are permitted to post, or download anything useful. This restriction will NOT apply to anyone who has already posted.

What are the pros and cons of this approach?
    Reality is merely an illusion, albeit a very persistent one - Albert Einstein

Hi Jim,

The Robots have certainly 'evolved' to defeat the present sign-up requirements for the site! Shame they only want to talk about Ugg boots. If they wanted to share their intelligent methods for trading then I might be interested. So, it's agreed, something needs to be done. Above you've asked for user opinions (pros and cons) regarding the introduction of a paywall.

My thoughts... probably ones that you've already had.

Pros:
    Robots are unlikely to part with cash and will therefore be unable to post.
    If robots do part with cash, then you have just discovered an interesting new investment strategy
    Potential to keep the site focussed on serious trading 'research' (whatever that means - I'm not sure if anything that I have contributed qualifies as serious)
    Combined with the condition that downloading is prevented unless a user has contributed could also promote active discussion... maybe..
    Relieves you from the task of deleting spam... a losing battle

Cons:
    Could put people off joining. It would have put me off (expenses usually require sign off from the IMA - Intra-Marital Accountant)
    Potential for the site to lose its 'open' community feel

An Alternative?
    How about one of those 'type the impossible to read text' requirements at sign-up? I'm not sure how effective they are, but they seem quite widely used. We could even have a go at developing one ourselves as part of the forum (as if we aren't all busy enough). Perhaps a different take would be for new users to look at a snapshot of an equity curve and estimate the percentage drawdown.

Cheers,
    Dr T

Hi Dr. T,

They are all thoughts I've had already, apart from the "estimate the percentage drawdown" one. We've been using a reCaptcha for a while, but it didn't seem to make any difference. Perhaps the bots have some assistance from human slaves?

Manual moderation of each new user might possibly work, but would also be very labour intensive.

At least the current draconian measures have quietened things down in here! Thanks for contributing to the debate.

Jim
    Reality is merely an illusion, albeit a very persistent one - Albert Einstein

sorry i am not a robot i am humain ! i want to speak

Hi Jim. A sign that you're a useful site that these malicious buggers see fit to target the site. Hopefully a transient thing. Anyway I along with lots of others think trading-gurus is absolutely top-notch for it's up to date news items, entertaining and informative robot/programming discussions & comps and general trading discussion forum. Hopefully you don't have to impact the site too much to thwart their activities. I'm planning to use the site more as I am back trading full time again...

I know this is not the right place to ask this, but as I am not allowed to create any posts I would like to ask if a Meet up organization for those that live in Ldn or near to it would be possible?! If we have more than 5 persons I would create the organization on Meetup.com.

What the meet ups would include?
    - discussion about strategy developments
    - discussion about pure coding (MQL preferably)
    - and activities associated with algo developments
    - and relaxation (chess in my case)

Thanks

Sounds a good idea. Had seen in the recent past a couple of big groups on Meetup eg. 'London Traders Network'. Looking to get into trading properly this year and not go through my usual boom and bust cycles ameliorated by alcohol. esp. since a new years res. is to give up the demon drink, get more scientific on the trading front and funnily take up chess again ( playing 'shredder' on the smartphone to get back )

I'd be tempted to come along.

Dr T

Guys, just to add my 2 cents concerning a paywall - guys in my currency to the euro or dollar, the exchange rate is +- 10:1. It will cost me an arm and a leg to be a member. I know it cost money to run a forum (we have our own here in SA "www.realchartist.com) but please consider maybe a pay-per-click/advertisement concept or some other way of creating revenue to cover the costs.

My English not good. But i am not a robot, just a guy from Ukraine

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast