Regular visitors will have noticed ever increasing amounts of spam on the Trading Gurus Community Forum. On November 24th 2012 we implemented some changes:

1. New users will be moderated 2. Registered users who have a post count of zero will not be able to view attachments or download code. 3. Registered users who have a post count of zero will not be able to create a new thread

As an additional countermeasure we anticipate introducing a modest paywall in the near future.

If this is your first visit here our apologies for the inconvenience.

Existing users may wish to contribute their ideas to this thread.

Thread: Ray Robot II™ Now Available for MultiCharts

Ray Robot II™ Now Available for MultiCharts

Regular readers of the Trading Gurus blog will know that the Son of Ray the Random Robot has been simultaneously spreadbetting a variety of live accounts for nearly two years now. We've had a few problems getting MetaTrader 4 backtest results to look much like Ray Jr.'s live trading results, so by way of experiment we've gone back into the laboratory here at Trading Towers and created an EasyLanguage clone of Ray Robot II™.

This clone of Ray Jr. is designed to allow us to do extensive backtesting using MultiCharts, and we reserve the right to use some MultiCharts specific features! We hope the results will look a bit more like real life than MT4's own over optimistic one minute bars!

Here's RR2's source code for PowerLanguage:
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Reality is merely an illusion, albeit a very persistent one - Albert Einstein

Wow, thanks. Saves me porting it I had an an eye on good old Ray anyway.
    Love the simplicity of the code and will plug it to my platform and report back.
    Best Frank

Just did a quick test on the GBP/USD. Actually I had to change nothing to port it. Just the ":7:5" in the debug output was not recocgnised.

This is what I got: Unfortunately I only get up to 500,000 1 minute bars so can't look back without further modification.

Is this something you get as well?

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/84222474/Ray2.png

Quote Originally Posted by Frank View Post
    Is this something you get as well?
    I'm currently MultiCharts-less in Warsaw, so a definitive answer will have to wait until next week I'm afraid. I did note before departing that even using the "bar magnifier" the MultiCharts test results didn't look much like Ray Jr's live trading results. I fear the code will have to get more complicated before MC gets Ray's "verified against live trading" seal of approval!

Quote Originally Posted by Jim View Post
    Ray's "verified against live trading" seal of approval!
    Has Ray's jForex twin obtained this status? What do you think are the major contributors to backtest vs. live discrepancies?

Frank - I fear it will take me a while longer to provide a sensible answer to your question. Today I accepted MultiCharts offer to upgrade to version 8.7. Now it tells me:

Extended backtesting mode is not supported when using more than one data series. Classic backtesting is now enabled
    It seems I'm not the only one to conclude that this is a pain in the posterior. According to a post on the MultiCharts forum:

Implementation of the precise backtesting + referencing multiple data series from the code is not a trivial task and it requires significant changes in current implementation of MultiCharts components.
    It seems this problem will be fixed in the next release.

Hi there guys! I know I've been quiet on here for a while but I've decided to get back into Forex and thought I'd check in here first! I've just downloaded the easy learners version of Ray II and was wondering if you had one for the .Net version of MultiCharts. Maybe in C#? Much obliged

Hi Baguette,

Long time no see! EZL = "EasyLanguage". A famous name in the annals of automated trading history, but not really a professional programming language. In case it's of interest, there's more on learning how to program in C# over in the Strategy Trader section.

As luck would have it we do already have a copy of MultiCharts .NET SE here at Guru Towers. Give me a day or two and I'll run something up for you. Amongst other things it will be interesting to see if the backtesting works better than it does in the latest version of standard MultiCharts!