Regular visitors will have noticed ever increasing amounts of spam on the Trading Gurus Community Forum. On November 24th 2012 we implemented some changes:

1. New users will be moderated 2. Registered users who have a post count of zero will not be able to view attachments or download code. 3. Registered users who have a post count of zero will not be able to create a new thread

As an additional countermeasure we anticipate introducing a modest paywall in the near future.

If this is your first visit here our apologies for the inconvenience.

Existing users may wish to contribute their ideas to this thread.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: FXCM Strategy Trader Random Entry Systems

FXCM Strategy Trader Random Entry Systems

Here is a new version of our first example robot, ported to the beta version of FXCM's new Strategy Trader automated trading platform. FXCM refer to "robots" as "Strategy Advisors", no doubt influenced by MetaTraders "Expert Advisors"!

If you want to experiment with it at the moment you'll need to need to apply to FXCM to become a beta tester first. You'll also need to open an FXCM demo account, and make sure hedging is disabled.

We actually had quite a lot of trouble getting this initial port working properly. One essential thing you need to do beforehand is to set up a dual one minute bar chart, showing the ask price at the top, and the bid price at the bottom. It should finish up looking something like this:

GuruEx01-ST-1min.jpg

Once you've done that, compile our source code in the Strategy Language Editor, drag it onto the chart from the "Strategy Advisors" section of the "Navigation" pane, and start playing!
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Reality is merely an illusion, albeit a very persistent one - Albert Einstein

Stop Press!

FXCM now allow you to download Strategy Trader direct from their website, and they now provide walkthrough videos too.

Also they appear to have renamed Strategy Advisors as "stEAs"!

Read all about it over on our blog.

P.S. I just discovered that you don't seem to be able to use Strategy Trader to do backtests at weekends:

http://forexforums.dailyfx.com/strat...tml#post554742

One more Irritating Issue to add to the list

Further backtest results will have to wait

Sorry,

Jim

Strategy Auto Trading Properties

To persuade Strategy Trader to run stEAs in a similar fashion to MetaTrader 4 (and most other platforms come to that) you need to ensure that the strategy auto trading properties are set up as follows.

ST-AutoMarket-2.jpg

Note that (as of Strategy Trader build 282 at least) this is NOT the default configuration. Make sure those boxes are NOT checked.

You can access that screen by right clicking on your chart, then selecting "Format Strategy Advisor" -> "Properties" -> "Auto Trading" tab.

How to Feed Your Strategy with Ticks

FXCM Strategy Trader doesn't by default work in the same way as MetaTrader 4 when it comes to feeding quotes to your strategy (stEA as opposed to EA!).

MT4 feeds every tick to your "robot", whatever time frame chart it is attached to. By default Strategy Trader only lets your "strategy advisor" know when a new bar has started. To persuade it to work the same way as MetaTrader you need to turn on Intra-Bar Order Generation. Here's how:

ST-IntraBar-1.jpg

You can access that screen by right clicking on your chart, then selecting "Format Strategy Advisor" -> "Format" -> "Intra-Bar Order Generation" tab.

Thanks for your best opinion. Dear i want to test it first as your requirement so what i procedure to apply to FXCM to be able for beta test . More over what is the requirement for opening the demo account .

Hi Bryant,

FXCM Strategy Trader is now in public beta, and has been for many months now. Just go the Strategy Trader page on FXCM's website and click the "Free Demo Account" button!

Jim

I was looking to design a system similar to this myself, and while I was looking online for info. I stumbled on this GuruEx01 of yours. Are the strategy trader auto properties that you mentioned above suppose to be implemented for this system? So both options should be urned off for the GuruEx01 system correct? Also, does this sytem have to have IOG (intra order execution) on as mentioned above, or was that just for information purposes and not the system? Thank you

Hi Will,

Quote Originally Posted by WillABalla View Post
    I was looking to design a system similar to this myself, and while I was looking online for info. I stumbled on this GuruEx01 of yours. Are the strategy trader auto properties that you mentioned above suppose to be implemented for this system? So both options should be urned off for the GuruEx01 system correct?
    It's quite a while since I've looked at Strategy Trader in any detail. I had a very frustrating time trying to get a fairly simple strategy working in time for FXCM's Automated Trading Challenge. In the end I gave up and decided to wait until Strategy Trader was out of beta testing. I'm still waiting!

Also, does this sytem have to have IOG (intra order execution) on as mentioned above, or was that just for information purposes and not the system? Thank you
    My (possibly somewhat out of date) understanding is that GuruEx01 will need Unfilled Order Replacement turned off, and Intra-bar Order Generation turned on, to have any hope of working as originally designed.

Cheers,

Jim

How I can set up a dual one minute bar chart, showing the ask price at the top, and t

Hello

I am a dummie and I have Strategy Trader installed. I want to use Guruex01 How I can set up a dual one minute bar chart, showing the ask price at the top, and the bid price at the bottom in Strategy Trader.

Gilbert

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast