Regular visitors will have noticed ever increasing amounts of spam on the Trading Gurus Community Forum. On November 24th 2012 we implemented some changes:

1. New users will be moderated 2. Registered users who have a post count of zero will not be able to view attachments or download code. 3. Registered users who have a post count of zero will not be able to create a new thread

As an additional countermeasure we anticipate introducing a modest paywall in the near future.

If this is your first visit here our apologies for the inconvenience.

Existing users may wish to contribute their ideas to this thread.

Thread: Hello World

Hello World

Hi all

I am a maths teacher based in malaysia. I have spent the last couple of years developing a trading system based on Ichimoku clouds. I recently (in the last 12 months) turned my strategy into an automated system in FXCM's strategy trader platform. I have just completed 3 months of live trading with some success (+30% ROI) and now want to fine tune the strategy (by fine tune i mean re write).

Strategy trader is really annoying in so many areas that my first job will be to decide what package to use for my re write.

Any pointers much appreciated

Steve

Hi Steve,

Welcome to the Trading Gurus community! It's very nice to meet you, particularly since you seem to have already managed to cross two big trading "hurdles":

1. Trading profitably live for an extended period, and
    2. Automating that success

Your question can be asked in a few words, but any sort of an answer is likely to take a few pages! Some questions of my own, if I may.

1. What particular aspects of Strategy Trader are you trying to get away from?
    2. Are you otherwise happy with FXCM?
    3. Have you tried any other brokers and/or platforms yet, and if so what were their pros and cons?
    4. What programming languages are you comfortable with? C# only, or a broad range?

That should be enough to get us started at least!

Cheers,

Jim
    Reality is merely an illusion, albeit a very persistent one - Albert Einstein

Hi Jim,
    Thanks for the response. I will try to answer your questions, the first one is the most difficult I don't have anything to compare strategy trader with it is the only system i have used. The main things that annoy me are
    1. The lack of any real documentation
    2. Often back test and live test do not show the same thing, Here i mean when i trade live and then go over the same period back testing i get different results not just the odd pip, complete trades.
    3. The incredibly annoying weekends, I often have live trades over the weekend and i cannot get strategy trader to manage them effectively. Nor can i back test over the weekend

Otherwise I like FXCM, never had a problem although as i said i havent traded anywhere else

I am happy working in any language, I pick them up quite quickly

Hi Steve,

Quote Originally Posted by Steve View Post
    I don't have anything to compare strategy trader with it is the only system i have used.
    Lots of brokers offer "demo" accounts and free trials. I'm afraid there are no shortcuts. To make things slightly easier we've ported some simple "algos" to a variety of APIs, but you really do have to try a few out and discover what works for you.

The main things that annoy me are
    1. The lack of any real documentation
    A perennial problem.

2. Often back test and live test do not show the same thing, Here i mean when i trade live and then go over the same period back testing i get different results not just the odd pip, complete trades.
    Another perennial problem. If back test and live test do not agree, how much confidence do you have in your backtest results?

3. The incredibly annoying weekends, I often have live trades over the weekend and i cannot get strategy trader to manage them effectively. Nor can i back test over the weekend
    Quite so. Haven't tried ST for a while myself, but it sounds as though FXCM still haven't fixed that problem.

Otherwise I like FXCM, never had a problem although as i said i havent traded anywhere else. I am happy working in any language, I pick them up quite quickly
    All that being the case, have you experimented with FXCM's various Trading Station II APIs yet?

Cheers,

Jim
    Reality is merely an illusion, albeit a very persistent one - Albert Einstein