Regular visitors will have noticed ever increasing amounts of spam on the Trading Gurus Community Forum. On November 24th 2012 we implemented some changes:

1. New users will be moderated 2. Registered users who have a post count of zero will not be able to view attachments or download code. 3. Registered users who have a post count of zero will not be able to create a new thread

As an additional countermeasure we anticipate introducing a modest paywall in the near future.

If this is your first visit here our apologies for the inconvenience.

Existing users may wish to contribute their ideas to this thread.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Ray the Random Robot™ Spread Bets at Smart Live

Ray kept his little legs crossed overnight, and finally that has had the desired effect. Thanks to his Martingale Money Management Module (MMMM for short) Ray's troublesome USD/CHF position had grown to 128 times its original size. He finally managed to cash in his Swissie chips for a profit at 06:29 this morning, MetaQuotes time:

History-Oct19-2010.jpg

There are a couple of lessons to be learned from Ray's recent exciting adventure. First and foremost do not be dumb like Ray. By all means experiment with Martingale position sizing on a demo or contest account. Do not do so on an account funded with your own hard earned cash.

At this point in time the capital injections Ray has received add up to a total of £2,500. His closed profits currently total £286.97. Maybe 10% a fortnight is a more realistic goal for an ambitious "robot" than 100% a month, however dumb his "brain" might happen to be.
    Reality is merely an illusion, albeit a very persistent one - Albert Einstein

....it is so hard

Morning cgshlj,

Quote Originally Posted by cgshlj View Post
    ....it is so hard
    What's so hard? Making a profit trading forex?

Jim

Ray's progress on his live spread betting account has been fairly uneventful since all the excitement last month. However since the end of another month is almost upon us, and one of the contests Ray entered has just finished, now seems as good a time as any for an update on how he's been getting along. He's been doing pretty well, and today here's how his account looks:

Trades-Nov29-2010.jpg

As you can see Ray's live account is currently showing a profit of £1387.32 (or 56.61%) after just under two months. On the downside the maximum drawdown so far is £735.76 (or 21.04% of total deposits, which now amount to £2,500).

Do you suppose Ray will be able to keep this sort of performance going up until Christmas, when the MetaTrader 5 Automated Trading Championship comes to an end? Then we can compare the outcome of Ray's adventures in various competitions with his real life trading, and potentially decide to reallocate some or all of the funds in Ray's spread bet account to something a little less risky!

Hi Jim.

Wondering if you can answer a question for me please.

When I try to run the automated programs in SLM strategy tester it runs up till the first trade and then stops, no errors. If I run it on a chart in the Demo platform it all works.

I read somewhere that you did use the SLM strategy tester and am wondering if you had the same problem or not.

Thanks.

Jon

Hi Jon,

I suspect your problem is that if you're backtesting using a Smart Live Markets spreadbet account you have to make sure the account currency is set to GBP:

SL-Test-GBP.png

Let me know if that doesn't do the trick.

Cheers,

Jim

Quote Originally Posted by Jim View Post
    Hi Jon,

I suspect your problem is that if you're backtesting using a Smart Live Markets spreadbet account you have to make sure the account currency is set to GBP:

SL-Test-GBP.png

Let me know if that doesn't do the trick.

Cheers,

Jim

That was the problem. I never even thought of it.

Thanks Jim.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12