Regular visitors will have noticed ever increasing amounts of spam on the Trading Gurus Community Forum. On November 24th 2012 we implemented some changes:

1. New users will be moderated 2. Registered users who have a post count of zero will not be able to view attachments or download code. 3. Registered users who have a post count of zero will not be able to create a new thread

As an additional countermeasure we anticipate introducing a modest paywall in the near future.

If this is your first visit here our apologies for the inconvenience.

Existing users may wish to contribute their ideas to this thread.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Ray the Random Robot with Multiple Micro Memory Modules

Ray the Random Robot with Multiple Micro Memory Modules

Here is the source code for a multi-currency version of our random entry MetaTrader 4 automated forex trading system, affectionately known as Ray by the Trading Gurus team:

RayOct2010.zip

Please read the enclosed wealth warning very carefully before use.

In addition please feel free to read about the exploits of this particular incarnation of Ray the Random Robot in the MIG FX Grand Prix 2010 MetaTrader 4 trading contest, in the Myfxbook/FXOpen MetaTrader 4 ECN Trading Championship, and on a live spread betting account at Smart Live Markets.
    Reality is merely an illusion, albeit a very persistent one - Albert Einstein

I've just updated the ZIP file in the first post to version 1.02

The main change is a bug fix to our quick fix for a "feature" in Smart Live Markets spread betting flavour of MetaTrader 4!

Code:
    //+--------------------------------------------------------------------+
    //+ Revision History                                                   +
    //+                                                                    +
    //+ 1.02 - October 8th 2009                                            +
    //+        Added a fix for a bug in the SB quick fix!                  +
    //+        Added additional debug messages                             +  
    //+ 1.01 - October 5th 2009                                            +
    //+        Added a fix for spread bet position sizing problem          +  
    //+        As used on a live Smart Live Markets spread betting account +  
    //+ 1.00 - October 1st 2009                                            +
    //+        First multi-currency MT4 version of Ray the Random Robot™   +  
    //+        As used in the MIG FX Grand Prix 2010!                      +  
    //+--------------------------------------------------------------------+

Hi Gurus. I was hoping to backtest this random entry system but it seems that simultaneous multi-currency testing is not possible in MT4. Am I missing something? Thanks

Hi Baguette,

Quote Originally Posted by Baguette View Post
    I was hoping to backtest this random entry system but it seems that simultaneous multi-currency testing is not possible in MT4. Am I missing something?
    No you're not missing anything. One of the drawbacks of MetaTrader 4 is that whilst you can write multi-currency expert advisors for it, you can't backtest them properly. The MT4 strategy tester can only feed quotes for one pair at a time into an EA under test. You could set up all the useXX input settings to backtest one pair at a time sequentially.

A better solution might be to roll up your sleeves and take this opportunity to start getting to grips with MetaTrader 5. Then you could run multi-currency backtests using the MT5 clone of Ray the Random Robot.

Jim

Can you guys add a spread protection so it doesn't trade beyond certain spread.. Also a protection so it doesn't trade on Fridays and Sunday

Hi Wilfred,

We could do, but we won't. One of the numerous educational aspects of Ray the Random Robot is that he does his very best to stay in the market 100% of the time.

I take your point that this is not necessarily the best way to trade, but Ray is very proud of his artificial stupidity! We do have another educational "robot" that's much more choosy about the times at which it trades. Maybe you'd like to take a look at our "London Breakout" expert advisor?

As far as Ray is concerned there are many other things that could be improved before worrying about restricting the times at which he trades. Do you have any suggestions about how to improve his exit strategy or money management for example?

Cheers,

Jim

I love Ray the robot. You know is very interesting to plug it in a 1 minute chart and use as a scalper. Add a 10 pips stop loss.. and a 50 pips profit.
    When you see a positive pips.. you can close it. Than Ray will open another trade.. giving you that randomly take to it. Because for some reason
    I have a feeling 1 minute charts have can be very chaotic and random.

Now this gives me an idea.. is there a way to add some kind of trailing stop that gets activated in pip profits after 10 pips. (because some brokers don't let smaller stops).. Sort of secure 10 pips.

I try it on 1 minute eur/usd..

Hi Wilfred,

Thanks very much for that suggestion. Ray is also very pleased to hear that you find him interesting. He sends you a big virtual kiss in return!

Your current exit strategy (on an EU M1 chart at least) is:

1. 10 pip hard stop loss
    2. 50 pip hard profit target
    3. Discretionary close if in profit and the market doesn't seem to be playing ball.

Have I got that straight? If so you are further suggesting that number 3 could be tied down tighter by trailing a tightish stop?

Cheers,

Jim

...downloading the EA seams to be pretty difficult. I'll try it again.

Hi, with this reply I have now 2 postings after my registration. According to your rules I should be able to download the EA but I still can't download it and I get the response
    "..., you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:
    Your user account may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
    If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation...."
    Please advise how to proceed .

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast