Regular visitors will have noticed ever increasing amounts of spam on the Trading Gurus Community Forum. On November 24th 2012 we implemented some changes:

1. New users will be moderated 2. Registered users who have a post count of zero will not be able to view attachments or download code. 3. Registered users who have a post count of zero will not be able to create a new thread

As an additional countermeasure we anticipate introducing a modest paywall in the near future.

If this is your first visit here our apologies for the inconvenience.

Existing users may wish to contribute their ideas to this thread.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: MQL5 Random Entry Systems

MQL5 Random Entry Systems

This is a new version of our first example robot, ported to MQL5. This is the one that stays in the market 100% of the time and uses "random" entries! Download the source code and do some experiments. You might find it can be surprisingly profitable:
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Reality is merely an illusion, albeit a very persistent one - Albert Einstein

An MQL5 Object-Oriented Really Random Robot

We've just finished porting our latest MetaTrader 4 "Really Random Robot" over to MetaTrader 5. Not only that, but for this expert advisor we've also moved from the MQL4 procedural style to an object-oriented style made possible because MQL5 is based on the C++ programming language, instead of C like MQL4. Here's the source code:

GurooEx01.zip

Just to prove that it is sometimes possible for even random entries to produce a profit, here are some backtest results I prepared earlier:

We've also uploaded our latest expert advisor to the MQL5 Code Base, where MetaQuotes have kindly translated the instructions into Russian for us! For some reason they neglected to translate my EA "in joke" though

Is it possible for some kind reader to provide us with a Russian translation of "Magic number to make your broker think you have a profitable robot to hide!" ?

Thanks in anticipation,

Jim

The Russian translation

Is it possible for some kind reader to provide us with a Russian translation of "Magic number to make your broker think you have a profitable robot to hide!" ?
    I am not sure it is 100% correct but I am sure 97.890 should be OK!

Магическое число, что делает ваш брокер считает, что у вас есть скрытые робота, который приносит прибыль

I used the Google to romanized the Russian text for those who have problems with Cyrillic alphabet:
    'Magicheskoe chislo, chto delaet vash broker schitaet, chto u vas yest skrytye robota, kotoryi prinosit pribyl?

You are welcome Jim
    Last edited by Mintaka; 08-10-2010 at 01:48 PM.
    If you keep your mind humble, pride will vanish like morning mist - Dilgo Khyentse Rinpoche

Thanks Mintaka,

Quote Originally Posted by Mintaka View Post
    I used the Google to romanized the Russian text for those who have problems with Cyrillic alphabet:
    Looks like this forum has some "problems with Cyrillic alphabet" unfortunately!!!

[Edit] Which are now fixed following an upgrade of our database. [/Edit]
    Last edited by Jim; 08-10-2010 at 08:49 PM. Reason: Fixed the problem

So, there would be my version of the above sentence, but I would be happy, if somebody from Russia could check if it is ok.

Magicheskoe chislo, kotorye izveshchaet vashego brokera, chto vy ispolzovaete dohodnogo skrytogo robota.

Ray the Random Robot with added Multiple Micro Memory Modules

We've entered a new multi-currency version of our trusty random entry forex trading system into the MetaTrader 5 Automated Trading Championship.

The official MetaQuotes backtest between January 1st 2010 and July 31st 2010 shows a profit of $34,475.58 on an initial deposit of $10,000.

TesterReport.png

Here is the source code that was entered into the 2010 ATC:

GurooEx02Multi2010.zip

and here is the most recent version of multi-currency MQL5 Ray the Random Robot:

GurooEx02Multi.zip

Don't forget that Ray is also using his Martingale Money Management Module (coincidentally MMMM for short). If he's lucky he'll survive until Xmas, and the end of the competition. You should not try this at home on your live account. It would not survive an extended outing with Ray as he is currently constituted.
    Last edited by Jim; 10-31-2011 at 09:12 AM. Reason: Added source for most recent version

Hello again Gurus. I downloaded and installed Alpari's MT5 and was looking forwards to testing this system when I enountered a problem with the history centre. First of all I noticed that I could only scroll back to January 2010 on my charts, and when I looked for the history centre it seemed to be non-existant. Any ideas? Thanks

Hello again Baguette!

Quote Originally Posted by Baguette View Post
    I downloaded and installed Alpari's MT5 and was looking forwards to testing this system when I enountered a problem with the history centre. First of all I noticed that I could only scroll back to January 2010 on my charts, and when I looked for the history centre it seemed to be non-existant.
    I haven't used my Alpari MT5 demo for months. I just fired it up again, and it told me it was build 281, dated 09 Jun 2010. Then it performed an automatic live update. Now it tells me it's build 342, dated 06 Oct 2010.

The 5 minute charts I already had open did indeed only go back to January 2010. Then I switched the GBP/USD chart to a monthly timeframe. At first that too only showed a few bars, going back to January 2010. I hit the "Home" key on my keypad, then after a delay the chart started auto-filling with bars, and now goes back all the way to November 1978. There is no longer any History Center in MetaTrader 5. One month charts now fulfil the same purpose (partially at least).

I long ago reverted to using the "official release" of MT5 downloaded direct from MetaTrader5.com, rather than any broker's own version. Updates seem to still be arriving quick and fast, and they also used to arrive far faster on the MetaQuotes version than any other. However I now discover that version is also currently on build 342, and the historical data only seems to go back as far as May 1993.

I think I'll be firing up the Alpari (UK) version of MetaTrader 5 rather more often in future! In any event, I hope one or other of those suggestions will get you up and running doing meaningful MT5 multi-currency backtests pretty quickly.

Cheers,

Jim

One more question: I have a dual core processor in my laptop but MT5 only seems to utilize one core while doing backtests. Testing this system takes a long time and slows down my computer quite a bit - is there a way to change these default settings? Perhaps I need a new computer!

Hi Baguette,

Quote Originally Posted by Baguette View Post
    One more question: I have a dual core processor in my laptop but MT5 only seems to utilize one core while doing backtests. Testing this system takes a long time and slows down my computer quite a bit - is there a way to change these default settings? Perhaps I need a new computer!
    Extra cores (and even extra computers!) only come into play when you start running optimizations. A backtest will only utilize a single core, although you can specify which one if you want!

Ray ended up running off one minute bars on MT5 instead of ticks to get around some "features" of MetaTrader 5, so he's not quite as random as he once was. However that should also allow you to speed up backtests as shown below:

MT5-Backtest-OpenPrices.png

Note also that Ray seems to work best with useTicks set to "false", and useTimer set to "true". Finally you may wish to run a short multi-currency backtest using all the different possibilities for that "simulated ticks" box, to satisfy yourself that speeding up the backtests does in fact save time, without significantly affecting your backtest results.

Jim

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast